Monday, February 7, 2011

108 Degrees Fahrenheit

Typically around this time of year we are braving the cold. I can’t help but reminisce: the layers of clothing that accommodate both the freezing exterior and the heated (in some case over heated) interiors, the fogging up of my glasses when moving from inside (hot) to outside (cold), the numbness that overtakes my nose, ears, and hands. Such fond memories... 

So this past Saturday when Sydney was hit by an intense heat wave, the hottest night ever recorded in Sydney, breaking a 150 year record, all I could think about was how little I could wear, and still be appropriate. While it was 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0 degrees Celsius) in New York it was 108 degrees Fahrenheit (42 Celsius) in Sydney, the hottest I have ever experienced. People in stores were literally fighting over fans and portable air conditioners as they sold out throughout the city. It was seriously painful (especially since most Sydneysiders do not generally have air conditioning- us included).

Yesterday, Sydney welcomed a cool change, temperatures dropping ten degrees in an hour, going down to the mid 60’s, almost 40 degrees cooler.  Now that I can handle. Too bad it’s supposed to heat up again next week. Oh dear…

No comments:

Post a Comment